JOB TITLE: Urban Forestry Crew Chief
REPORTS TO: Urban Forestry Manager (under Director of Tree Planting)
The mission of Casey Trees is to restore, enhance and protect the tree canopy of the Nation’s Capital.
Casey Trees is looking for an Urban Forestry Crew Chief to support our Tree Planting and Stewardship programs and activities. The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic, highly motivated individual who enjoys working outdoors, in small crew settings, and in larger community-based projects and events with diverse volunteers. The candidate should possess a broad range of technical field skills, good interpersonal communication skills, and a genuine interest in the conservation mission of the organization.
• Drive a full size pick-up truck and landscaping trailer
• Supervise a small crew of 1-3 urban forestry apprentices in tree planting, small tree pruning and maintenance projects
• Assist with all aspects of field operations and logistics as required for tree planting and stewardship programs including tree and materials ordering, nursery deliveries, un/loading, delivering, site prep, planting, pruning, etc.
• Implement in-house, year-round planting , pruning and tree maintenance activities/operations
• Provide support to Education Program in the supervision of teams of 3-5 high school student interns during 8-week summer program
• Maintain clear records and data collection for financial, contact, and GIS tree tracking
• Associates or certificate program degree in arboriculture, horticulture, urban forestry, landscape management or related field, and two or more years of experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• ISA certification or willingness to acquire within first two years of appointment
• Valid drivers license, clean driving record, and ability to drive pickup truck w/trailer
• Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
• Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced non-profit environment
• An interest in and commitment to urban conservation and community forestry activities
• Proficiency with MS Office including MS Outlook and MS Excel a plus
POSITION DURATION AND COMPENSATION
This is a full time year round position with benefits and a starting salary range of $30,000 - $33,000 (commensurate with experience).
Please send letter of interest, resume, available start date, and contact information for three references to:
Jim Woodworth, Director of Tree Planting
Casey Trees 1123 11th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001
(please put URBAN FORESTRY CREW CHIEF as subject of email)
Fax: 202.833.4092 Prefer no telephone inquires