Sunday we spent the day traveling high in the mountains to work with volunteers to pull Spanish Broom. Our work truck (Jenna) didn't appreciate the drive one bit. Dick and Cody, two volunteers from last year, were very familiar with the site and were excited to see that none of the old Spanish Broom grew back from last summer, and that we were able to move on to another portion of the road. After toiling away for a few hours we had managed to remove about a dozen large rooted plants. Last year, the team removed Spanish Broom along several miles of road, and the goal this year is to finish the project up to the fire station.
The next day we met up with the USFS Weed Crew again and returned to the field of Oriental Mustard (Sisymbrium) we had worked on the previous week. We spent the day pulling and piling more of this obnoxious invasive. The rest of our hitch was spent at this site, though luckily we had a number of volunteers to help us this time.
Tuesday we had 8 exuberant firefighters and 15 other people from the surrounding area helping us pull acres worth of Sisymbrium. Our crew of volunteers had so much fun helping us that they returned the next day to help and even brought more people along with them, we had 31 total volunteers show up.