OFFICE LOCATION Medford, Oregon (OR)
The Nature Conservancy is the world’s leading conservation organization, working in all 50 states and more than 33 countries. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to preserve the plants, animals and natural communities that represent the diversity of life on Earth by protecting the lands and waters they need to survive.
The successful Collins Restoration Team Member applicant will take part in work to establish reference forest conditions in Southwestern Oregon, supervised by the SW Oregon Forest Ecologist and the Collins Crew Leader. Tasks will include collecting fire scar samples for dendrochronological analysis, mapping evidence of presettlement trees, aging trees. The Collins Crew Member will collect high quality data on a handheld data logger and assist the Collins Crew Leader with data quality control to provide clean data tables ready for data synthesis. Botanical knowledge and the ability to identify trees from their wood and bark characteristics will be highly valued.
• Associate’s degree in natural resources, environmental studies or equivalent combination of education and 6 months of experience.
• Experience managing and prioritizing tasks from multiple sources.
• Experience performing administrative duties emphasizing detail-oriented and numerical tasks.
• Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite software.
• Experience working and communicating with a diverse group of people
• Associate’s degree in natural resources, environmental studies or equivalent combination of education and 6 months to 1 year of experience.
• Coordinating information from multiple sources into databases including data entry and report production.
• Completing tasks independently within assigned timeframes.
• Managing and prioritizing tasks from multiple sources.
• Performing administrative duties emphasizing detail-oriented and numerical tasks.
• Working knowledge of common software applications (e.g.; Word, Excel, Web browsers).
• Communicating clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
The Collins Restoration Team Member position will involve GPS navigation to remote locations under variable and adverse weather conditions as well as physically demanding effort on difficult, steep, and hazardous terrain, the use of a chain saw, and require long hours in isolated settings. The These conditions may:
• require minor physical exertion and/or muscular strain
• present occasional possibility of injury
• require long hours in isolated settings
This is a full-time, temporary position that begins in June 2011 and ends in November 2011.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
This position pays an hourly rate of $13.00.
HOW TO APPLY - Follow link below.
To apply to position number 13180, submit resume and cover letter as one document. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on May 15, 2011.
Failure to complete all of the required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration. The information entered in the education and work experience sections are auto screened by the system based on the basic qualifications of the position.
You must click submit to apply for the position. Click save if you want to be able to return to your application and submit it later. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.