Apply online or contact email@example.com with any questions
Online Communications Associate
Job Description - January 2011
Start Date: February
Salary: Competitive salary plus excellent benefits package
Type: Full Time
Location: Washington, D.C. (Dupont Circle)
The Worldwatch Institute, an independent, non-profit environmental research organization, is seeking an Online Communications Associate to manage all of the Institute's Web activities and to help us reach millions of users globally with vital information. The Online Communications Associate will take a lead role in implementation of our Web and social networking strategy, participate in content development, and manage the Institute's online Web presence.
The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing the main Worldwatch Web site (www.worldwatch.org ), the online data service Vital Signs Online, and at least five blogs. Tasks include working with the research team to develop content, monitoring Web site activity, enhancing Web visitation, and overseeing the day-to-day maintenance and operation of the Institute's Web sites, working with outside technical support as needed.
The ideal candidate will have a minimumof two years of experience in the following areas: content development and editing; Web site management, implementation, and maintenance; and user experience and Web site accessibility issues. Interest and background in environmental issues and experience with the Adobe design suite, Drupal, Wordpress, and Google Analytics are highly desirable. Demonstrated experience in leveraging emerging trends in technology and social networking is also desired. He/she must be able to thrive in a team-oriented environment, working closely with all departments of the organization.
Under the supervision of the Director of Communications, the Online Communications Associate will be responsible for the following:
- Coordinate with research and communications teams to publish or repurpose daily content on the Web site, including blogs, announcements, e-newsletters, PDF publications, and multimedia content;
- Draft weekly and monthly e-mail newsletters, build newsletters in email distribution program, and distribute e-mails to constituents and customers;
- Work with the marketing department on branding and messaging to ensure consistency with Worldwatch's marketing goals;
- Oversee all e-mail lists and distribution of mass e-mails; Create Web reports utilizing Web logs, online donations info, online sales data, user info from Web databases, and e-mail newsletters;
- Analyze web analytics and develop and implement strategy decisions based on these results;
- Execute web and email promotions and ensure that online bookstore integrates best practices for shopping transactions;
- Maintain and expand Worldwatch's presence on social networking sites.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of HTML, Drupal, and Wordpress;
- Experience with e-mail newsletters and campaigns;
- Knowledge of photo editing software;
- Awareness and interest in global sustainability topics;
- Experience working with Adobe design suite, Ubercart, and Google Analytics a strong plus.
About the Worldwatch Institute
The Worldwatch Institute is a non-profit research organization that focuses on innovative solutions to some of the world's greatest challenges. For more than 30 years, Worldwatch has combined its unique blend of interdisciplinary research, global focus, and powerful writing to make it a leading source of information on the interactions among key environmental, social, and economic trends. The Institute's annual State of the World report has been published in 36 languages and is read by audiences ranging from government officials and corporate executives to educators and the general public. For more information, visit http://www.worldwatch.org
Please send us your resume, a brief cover letter describing your related work experience, one writing sample, and the URLs of at least 2-3 Web sites you have worked on, providing details about your input into these sites as well as any special features you have created or developed.
Send all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org , and include "Online Communications Associate" in the subject line.
No telephone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, Institute staff will contact only those persons selected for an interview.
View full job description at http://www.worldwatch.org/node/6574