The Alice Ferguson Foundation, a preeminent environmental education organization on the Potomac River, seeks an energetic Executive Director who is passionate about the environment and has a deep appreciation for nature/outdoor experiences. AFF is a growing organization with a unique rural sense of place derived from its location on the Hard Bargain Farm, a 330-acre working farm where elementary and middle school children come to learn about the environment and their impact on it. We have also expanded our vision with outreach programs for high school students and their teachers, partnering with the National Park Service to increase environmental awareness of the entire Potomac Watershed. And then there is the trash – we lead an annual Potomac Watershed trash cleanup (with 425 partners, picking up 210 tons of trash in 2010!) and spearhead a movement to make the entire Potomac Watershed trash-free by 2013.
Our new ED should have demonstrated leadership, communication, and fund raising skills and the ability to find and take full advantage of the many opportunities in our Potomac Watershed, and a minimum of ten years of experience. We want our ED to:
· Enhance the quality, impact and reach of multiple programs, directing and inspiring our talented dedicated staff of nearly 40 in a collaborative style.
· Maintain and grow our already extensive relationships and influence with supporters, stakeholders, donors, and partners.
· Improve our facilities, including directing a capital campaign to replace our existing overnight lodge at Hard Bargain Farm, while continuing to model green practices in land use and facility management/maintenance.
· Diversify and increase fundraising and develop other sources of revenue.
· Work with the Board of Directors on long-range plans and impact measures and implement strategies to achieve the mission.
1. Gives direction and leadership toward the achievement of the organization's philosophy, mission, strategy, and its annual goals.
2. Is responsible for overall leadership of staff in the development and implementation of short and long range plans and policies and other activities consistent with the Foundations’ vision and mission.
3. Is responsible for the financial management of the foundation, including the development and implementation of the annual budget
4. Builds relationships, partnerships, and fiscal support systems.
5. Directs fundraising and public relations efforts in support of the Foundation’s educational programs in conjunction with the board of Directors.
6. Communicates with Board of Directors and AFF membership; consults with President on major policy issues and problems, reports to Board at regular meetings, and holds annual membership meetings.
7. Represents the Foundation to the general public, sister organizations, grant making agencies, schools, public officials, and other institutions in the public and private sector.
8. Oversees special events in conjunction with staff, volunteers, and committees.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Excellent interpersonal communication skills
2. Experience in environmental education and working with volunteer, civic and government groups.
3. Excellent written, verbal and computer skills.
4. Knowledge of fundraising, public relations, and budgeting.
5. Demonstrated success in leading a team and experience in organization development.
1. Bachelor’s degree required; Masters or equivalent preferred.
2. Minimum 10 years of experience.
SALARY: Salary commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com