The Director of Earth Day 2011 will be responsible for leading and managing Earth Day Network’s campaigns to promote environmental service and advocacy surrounding Earth Day, the most widely-commemorated secular holiday in the world. Earth Day has historically been a vehicle to promote a healthy, sustainable environment worldwide. In furtherance of Earth Day Network’s mission to broaden, diversify and activate the environmental movement, Earth Day Network seeks a politically savvy, social media knowledgeable, committed campaigner, and strong strategist who thrives in a fast-paced environment and has substantial experience developing relationships, and brokering and implementing partnerships and engaging diverse audiences (i.e. faith, labor, justice, veteran, rural, moderates).
Earth Day Network seeks a seasoned campaigner (6-9 years experience) who has a history of leading campaigns and managing a team of up to up to 4 full time employees and a dozen interns.
Experience working in the environmental movement is not necessary.
In conjunction with Earth Day Network’s Leadership and its Policy and International Departments, this position will lead a multi-faceted campaign that will promote participation in environmental service and advocacy and grow the environmental movement.
• Prepare a campaign work plan that promotes and quantifies large scale and of acts of environmental service and advocacy
• Collaborate with Earth Day Network’s Communications team, sponsors and funders.
• Act as spokesperson for Earth Day 2011 and be able to present to a variety of audiences.
• Represent Earth Day Network at events, and with grassroots activist groups, decision-makers, donors, and other allies.
• Regular reporting on the progress of Earth Day 2011.
• Manage an Earth Day 2011 team that together will:
o Design compelling toolkit and materials for organizers;
o Recruit and manage over a hundred partnerships (both internationally and domestic) to support Earth Day Network’s Billion Acts of Green© campaign;
o Manage a large scale event on the National Mall and recruit high profile speakers;
o Implement a robust college campus outreach plan;
o Recruit Celebrities, Artists and Athletes to become spokespeople for Earth Day;
o Partner with Earth Day events nationwide hosted by municipal leaders;
o Promote the use of the new Earth Day Network web site as an effective tool to connect Earth Day; event organizers internationally and domestically with their audiences.
• BA/BS Degree preferred or equivalent experience
• A working knowledge of environmental policy and the politics behind environmental legislation;
• Excellent organizational and management ability, including capacity for multi-tasking and flexibility to respond to and resolve changing situations.
• Proven leadership;
• Strong staff management instincts and coordination ability;
• Excellent communication, both written and oral;
• Problem solving and strategy-development;
• Print Media savvy;
• Ability to work campaign-style hours;
• A working knowledge of using New Media as an organizing tool;
• Well-rounded individual with ability to work with a variety of people and groups.
• Proven capability in project management from conception to completion;
• Proven ability to work both independently and in close coordination with a team, including with staff working remotely;
• Experience in organizing groups outside the U.S. a plus.
Position will include a generous benefits package including health, dental and vision. This position is short term and will end May 30, 2011. There is a possibility for permanent position.
How to Apply:
Please send resume and cover letter including salary requirements to Brindis@earthday.net with “Earth Day Director inquiry” as subject line. Please no phone calls. Deadline November 16, 2011