Earth Day Network seeks a dynamic and energetic individual to handle a range of environmental education activities that advance the mission of Earth Day Network’s Education Department, with particular emphasis on managing the department and its programs.
The Education Manager liaises with the Director of Education and other relevant staff in supporting Earth Day Network’s school-based environmental education and green school efforts. EDN’s Education Department and its Green Schools Campaign seek to promote environmental education and the greening of all U.S. schools within a generation.
Our focus and ongoing initiatives include:
• Creating and providing access to quality educational resources and materials for use by teachers in educating students and promoting sustainability education in and out of the classroom.
• Building a sustained education, advocacy and media campaign on green schools and environmental education to provide communication and resources to teachers, students, and their schools on how to green one’s school.
• Building and maintaining a digital and online presence, including creation of online and web-based education materials, creating and updating webpage content, building digital media and online networks, and assisting in the collection and adaptation of lesson plans from granted teachers and Educators’ Network members.
• Communicating with and expanding EDN’s Educators’ Network through electronic and physical outreach and communication.
• Establishing and maintaining partnerships with local and national organizations, schools, teachers, students and other educational and environmental partners.
• Supporting EDN’s Educators’ Network through programs and projects in support of school greening, civics education and environmental education. For example, EDN’s National Civic Education Project (NCEP), engages urban teachers and their students in civic-minded lessons in environmentally degraded areas, culminating in a civic action for overall community improvement.
• Collaborate with Education Department and other staff to manage incoming requests for curriculum creation, media relations, book/ article contributions, etc. as needed.
• Assisting in the implementation of multiple school greening demonstration projects nationwide.
• Working to create and pass national, state, and local public policies to provide funding mechanisms for green schools and environmental education.
The Education Manager will be heavily involved in several of these initiatives, likely to include travel to events or projects throughout the year and especially on or around Earth Day.
The Manager will support the Education Department in the following areas:
• Conducting research on and assisting in the creation and continuance of EDN’s school greening and environmental education materials, including curricula development and web content.
• Conducting research on and assisting in the creation and continuance of EDN’s educational programs and websites, including management of the grants program, creating promotional materials and websites for these programs, and assisting with school greening projects and policy.
• Maintaining operations and ongoing communication with Educators’ Network members and partners, such as involvement in the DC Environmental Education Consortium, partnership with the National Environmental Education Foundation, the North American Association for Environmental Education, and other partnerships and participation with national and local organizations and events.
• Communicating with and expanding EDN’s Educators’ Network through online outreach, social media, newsletters, blogs, direct mailings, physical presence, etc.
• Representing Earth Day Network and the Education Department via media relations, events, conferences, teaching opportunities, school presentations, etc.
• Assisting the Education Department and Development Department in the execution of fundraising opportunities, including research and writing, specific to education-related programming and opportunities.
• Working with the Education Associate to manage day-to-day logistics of the Education Department, including scheduling and hosting meetings, writing organizational reports, presenting and teaching, attending conferences, and recruiting and managing Education Interns.
• Managing staff, including the Education Associate and Education Specialist (future hire).
• Supporting departmental and organizational commitments with various projects as assigned, such as annual Earth Day events nationwide.
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s strongly preferred.
• A strong interest in and knowledge of current environmental issues is required.
• A strong interest in and knowledge of K-12 education (environmental, civics, STEM, and/or education itself, in addition to lesson planning experience) is required; teaching certification and classroom experience is strongly preferred.
• A strong interest in and knowledge of non-formal and experiential education is preferred.
• Project management experience is required; event planning experience is strongly preferred.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to perform multiple tasks in adherence to strict deadlines are required.
• Excellent research and communication skills (verbal and written) are required.
• Technological experience with strong computer skills in education technology, digital media, web development, word processing, knowledge of MS Office products including Word, Excel and Outlook, and solid internet research skills is required.
• Experience as a team player and leader, with outstanding interpersonal skills is required.
• Willingness to travel within the U.S.
How to Apply: Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample (minimum five pages, education materials or curricula examples strongly encouraged) to Education Director, Sean Miller (miller(at)earthday.net), or mail to:
Earth Day Network
Attn: Director of Education
1616 P Street, NW, Suite 340
Washington, DC 20036
Earth Day Network provides employees with a competitive benefits package that includes health and dental insurance, vacation and sick leave, and a retirement plan. Earth Day Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer.