Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualiﬁed applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school students for the 2014 Pittsburgh summer program.
Co-lead, mentor and coach a crew of 10 students, ages 15-19, while completing various conservation service projects designed to build an ethic of community and environmental stewardship. Projects include a range of activities such as trail and park maintenance, habitat restoration, and revitalization of abandoned urban properties or to urban agriculture. Projects run for 6 weeks at a time. In addition, leaders will facilitate pre- and post- program planning which includes crew training, environmental education and reporting.
The 2014 Pittsburgh Program locations include Frick, Highland, Schenley, Riverview, South Side, Pittsburgh Parks, Hazelwood, and other green spaces in Pittsburgh.
Program Dates: June 30th – August 10th, 2014
- Follow all SCA policies & procedures as required for the position
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Manage relationship with agency partner
- Facilitate crew operations: tools & equipment, work schedule, etc.
- Manage all medical and ﬁrst aid aspects
- Communicate with full time SCA ﬁeld staff as required
- Supervise crew members during the work day
- Train & supervise Crew Members in safe and proper tool use
- Organize & lead recreation trip after completion of work project
- Complete required program reporting and documentation
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Current First Aid certiﬁcation & CPR required by the start of training
- Experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18)
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more.
- Preferred experience with conservation work skills or related skills, i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening.
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: June 4 – 13th, 2014
- Must have personal housing arrangements in Pittsburgh or surrounding area.
Compensation: Minimum of $3800 total salary depending on funding, experience & crew length.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a proﬁle, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com and scaPittsburgh@thesca.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org