Project Leader: Scott Meyler Project Dates: June 1, 2010 - September 20, 2010 e-mail: email@example.com
Program Name: Finger Lakes National Forest
Planted Tree at Hector Ranger’s Office (1 Dutch Elm’s Disease resistant Elm Tree)
Ravine Trail Drain Dips (4)
Re-established Ravine Trail Outslope and benching (260 feet)
Interloken Trail Drainage Structures (5)
Ravine Trail corridor (¾ mile)
Ravine Trail Retention Wall (30 square feet)
Brushed/Cleared/ removed multi flora rose Burnt Hill Trail (½ mile)
Interloken Trail reroutes (216 feet)
We started hitch 2 by planting a Dutch Elm’s Disease Elm tree at the USFS Ranger’s Office. Planting this tree gave us hope that the American Elm could possibly make a recovery in the future.
After planting the tree we got back to doing what we do best; trail work. We headed over to the Ravine Trail to take a look at a retaining wall Rebecca told us was falling over. When we got there we could not believe what we found. The wall was completely toppled over, and most of the rocks used to make it had slid more than 20 feet down the slope the hill was sitting on. We knew immediately we had our work cut out for us. The original was constructed by standing a few flat rocks vertically and pounding rebar in behind them to hold them up. The wall was built on a slope approaching 45 degrees. It was no wonder that the wall fell over backwards.
We started by benching the hill to construct a solid, flat platform to build the wall on. We then dry-stacked the local shale so as to create a much more solid wall than the original. We quarried stone from the creek bed at the bottom of the ravine trail. Resources were plentiful, but moving them up the tall, steep hill was a challenge. It took four days to finish the wall, but we left with an incredible sense of accomplishment.
We could only have three people working on the wall at a time because there was simply no room on the steep slope for any more than that. So when the two extras were not quarrying for materials we worked on some improvements on the Ravine trail. We brushed and cleared the entire ¾ mile loop, installed 4 drain dips, re-established 210 feet of out-slope, and benched 50 feet of trail.
After finishing up the Ravine trail we headed over the to Burnt Hill trail to clear out some multi flora rose that has been giving horse riders a problem. In addition to the rose thorns we had to work around the barbed wire fence they were growing along. This section of the Burnt Hill trail runs along one of the many cow pastures in Finger Lakes National Forest. While the crew cleared the multi flora rose, Scott went to the lumber yard with Marv to pick up materials for the privy we will begin constructing next hitch. The crew has cutting multi flora rose down to a science and finished nearly a half a mile of fence by the time Scott returned from the lumber yard. We quickly finished up the rest and packed it in for the day.
The next morning we went to headquarters and unloaded the privy materials from the trailer and put them inside the shed where they will be protected from the elements until we can build the privy. Afterwards we headed to the Interloken trail and finished the drainage structures we started last hitch. We could not complete them at the time because it rained for several days straight making the soil too muddy to dig in. The trail was still very muddy but we were able to make due. After finishing up the drainages we headed further up the Interloken and started the first of four re-routes on the trail. We cut the re-route corridor and finished 90 feet of tread before heading home.
On Sunday the 20th we took a break from trail work to volunteer at an archaeological dig in the forest. We spent the morning getting a tour of the site and learning a little bit about the history of the area. After the tour the archaeology students taught us how to dig a unit. Both Scott and Ellen had previous experience in archaeology and the rest of the crew picked it up quickly. Turns out trail workers are great diggers, who would of thunk it. Unfortunately we did not make any discoveries on this day. Around 2 o’clock the archaeologists headed over to the office to was and categorize artifacts so we went back to the Interloken trail to finish our re-route. We were just able to finish the last 60 feet of trail before thunder and lightning forced us to pack it up around 4:30.
On the last day of our second hitch we went back to the Ravine trail to finish up a small section that needed corridor work. Afterwards we headed back to the Interloken trail and cut the second re-route. We finished the 66 foot re-route just in time for lunch. After lunch we spent the rest of the day cleaning and sharpening our tools and reporting our hours to AmeriCorps.