Defenders of Wildlife
Position: Habitat and Highways Program Coordinator
Location: Washington, D.C.
Supervisor: Director, Habitat and Highways
The Habitat and Highways Program seeks to reduce the impact of roads and highways on wildlife and habitat, and to incorporate wildlife conservation into transportation planning. In addition to working on core projects, the Habitat and Highways Program Coordinator will be exposed to a variety of programmatic experience on conservation issues of national significance. The Coordinator will attend hearings, seminars, conferences, and working meetings to develop and implement strategies. Occasionally, s/he will be expected to provide administrative and outreach support for related projects.
We seek a talented individual dedicated to the conservation of our nation's wildlife and natural resources for this full-time, permanent position. This position may require some occasional, domestic travel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with administrative tasks, scheduling, budget, and department and programming logistics
- Meeting preparation
- Represent Defenders at conferences through presentations and participation
- Manage Websites - update, draft content, scout for related sites, links, etc.
- Research, edit, and write reports
- Provide conference support
- Provide funders and grant support
- Write newsletters, alerts, comments, factsheets, etc.
- Shepherd documents through necessary channels (sign-ons, petitions, action alerts, etc.)
- Maintain physical and electronic department files
- Fulfill requests for information
- Mailings, shipping tasks
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's (B.A./B.S.) degree or equivalent preferred
Experience: 1 or more years of administrative, organizational, and/or writing experience; some experience in environmental policy preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
Strong verbal and written communications skills Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills Expected to work independently and/or as a team member with initiative, motivation, flexibility, and attention to accuracy of projects and tasks
How To Apply:
Interested applicants please reference Habitat and Highways Program Coordinator in your subject line and submit a letter of interest, along with your resume and salary history (must be included to be considered) to us via e-mail at: HR(at)defenders.org