The Pacific Crest Trail Association, headquartered in Sacramento, California is dedicated to protecting, preserving and promoting the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail. The following staff position is currently open:
Lead the nation’s premier volunteer-based trail crew programs on the spectacular Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail. This is a great career-building opportunity for rising professionals.
In this position you will have the opportunity to:
• Work with interns on collecting inventory of and assess rehabilitation needs for the Pacific Crest Trail
• Work with youth corps and volunteer trail crews to teach excellent trail work
• Oversee projects on the ground along the Pacific Crest Trail
• Spend time outdoors and on the trail
The Technical Advisor is a full-time seasonal staff position working on trail assessment, inventory, and projects along the PCT on Bureau of Land Management lands in Southern California. This position will start immediately. The temporary season will last for approximately three months with possible employment extension to other locations on the PCT based on available future funding. Compensation is $640 weekly. Dependable personal transportation is required and mileage is reimbursed.
We are seeking applicants with:
• Minimum of two years of relevant professional experience or five years of substantial volunteer experience
• Experience in training, managing, and leading trail crews
• Backcountry living and Leave No Trace skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• The ability and willingness to travel on the PCT in remote, backcountry locations, often requiring several days of backcountry travel and living in desert conditions
• Trail design, construction, and maintenance skills
• Proven experience in working with volunteers
• The ability to perform physical trail work
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
• Ability to work independently and as a team player
• Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills
• Ability to coordinate with and advise interns
• Ability to recognize, assess and plan for future rehabilitation projects
• Familiarity with desert trail conditions including ecology and restoration
Please e-mail resume, list of three references, letter of interest detailing applicable qualifications, and salary history to Mike Dawson at email@example.com with the subject Technical Advisor. Additional information on this position and Pacific Crest Trail Association are online at www.pcta.org. For questions, contact Mike at (206) 463-9087.
Pacific Crest Trail Association is an Equal Opportunity Provider.