The League of Conservation Voters (LCV)
is seeking a Western Region Major Gifts Officer to focus on securing major gifts in the Western region of the United States.
In the next three years, LCV will embark on an ambitious strategic plan to dramatically increase the number of mid-range donors across the country. The Western Region Major Gifts Officer is a key member of the Development team, supporting the critical work of the high-paced division, which plays an integral role in the organization’s growth and functioning.
The Western Region Major Gifts Officer (MGO) is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgment and stewardship of major gifts ($1,000+) for LCV, LCVEF and LCV Action Fund. In addition, MGOs work regionally with our western state league partners to raise funds jointly from both national and state league donors and major donor prospects as part of a collaborative fundraising structure.
The Major Gifts Officer will work with the SVP of Development, the Director of Major Donor Programs, and the Director of Collaborative Fundraising to help prepare an annual major gifts fundraising plan that includes joint solicitation with the state league and solicitation of LCV/LCVEF donors for LCV/LCVEF only. MGOs will be responsible for maintaining a specific portfolio of individual major donors, select foundation funders, and prospects.
- Work in concert with the Director of Major Donor Programs to develop and implement an annual major donor cultivation and solicitation action plan, including methods of identifying new donors and implementing solicitation and stewardship strategies for current and prospective donors.
- Manage a defined major donor portfolio that includes current, lapsed and prospective donors as well as joint state league donors.
Responsibilities include: visit and trip management; current, lapsed, and prospective donor outreach; and facilitation of donor requests for materials and information.
- Perform major gift solicitations via face to face asks, personal letters, and phone calls. Depending on the region, some of these solicitations will be conducted with the state league.
- Conduct research on donors and prospects and manage organization and database profiles for portfolio of donors.
- Work with LCV’s development and communications staff, along with state league partners, to develop compelling materials and scripts to maximize fundraising results.
- Work with LCV/LCVEF board and state league partner boards to help gain access to donors and prospects and to expand relationships with donors in region.
- Work with state league partners to steward and cultivate joint major donors.
- Work with state league partners to plan and oversee joint major donor fundraising special events in their region, including possible candidate bundling events for LCV Action Fund.
- Serve as a training resource and mentor to state league development staff and state leagues boards as appropriate.
- Assist in the implementation of strategies to upgrade and convert mail responsive donors to the major donors.
- Ensure portfolio records are current with all necessary and pertinent information, and input contacts and actions into database in a timely manner.
- Help to identify planned giving prospects.
- Prepare regular major gifts reports for the Director of Major Donor Programs for inclusion in development division reports to the Boards of Directors and the President.
- Participate in the strategic planning for fundraising programs with full staff, as well as regular development and message meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
** To Apply **
- College degree required
- 5+ years of development experience with a strong background and proven success in individual major gift fundraising required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize, multitask and meet deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Expert interpersonal skills and energetic
- Issue advocacy and/or political fundraising experience preferred
- Travel required
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to hr(at)lcv.org
with "MGO Western Region"
in the subject line, or mail to League of Conservation Voters, Attn: Human Resources, 1920 L Street NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036. No phone calls please.
The League of Conservation Voters is an equal opportunity employer.