GreenHOME’s mission is to make affordable housing and its neighborhoods green. Our programs focus on demonstrating viability, providing expertise, and changing public policy. To leverage our resources, we have partnered effectively with public agencies and policy makers, green design consultants, housing developers, design and construction firms, local universities, and nonprofits from the affordable housing, smart growth, community development, environmental advocacy, and healthy housing communities.
GreenSPACE is the next stage of development for us as an organization and GreenHOME will be one of the programs of GreenSPACE. GreenSPACE is dedicated to cultivating the region’s green economy, catalyzing green policies, and stewarding green communities. Leveraging a unique network of regional public, private and non-profit partnerships, GreenSPACE is focused on building the skills, knowledge and capacity of professionals, policymakers and the public in creating groundbreaking green communities.
Guided by the vision of thriving green communities, the GreenSPACE learning and resource center is currently under development, and will provide a 10,000 to15,000 square-foot space in Washington D.C. designed to meet LEED platinum standards to inspire the urgent need for skill-building, education and awareness necessary to create green communities.
GreenSPACE Initiatives are ambitious and practical. They are designed to articulate clear pathways for green businesses and jobs, enhance the performance of existing buildings and landscapes, engage the community in creating and supporting policies that ensure new development projects are affordable and sustainable, and cultivate a robust network of cross-sector learning and action.
GreenHOME and GreenSPACE are seeking an Operations Coordinator to support the organization’s growing operations. The Operations Coordinator will report directly to the Executive Director and will be the lead administrative professional in the office. The Operations Coordinator will have primary responsibility for supporting general office operations, financial management and specific aspects of program and project development. We require the individual filling this position to provide a well-rounded skill set, a high level of personal initiative, an ability to excel as a member of a team, and a willingness to work in a flexible and dynamic environment. Applicants must be willing to perform a range of tasks, including those typically required of an executive assistant, an office manager, and a project/grants manager.
- Provide daily administrative support functions as needed
- Responsible for office supplies
- Maintain program files
- Coordinate meeting logistics and minutes/note-taking when needed for staff, board and programs
- Administrative correspondence
- Support fundraising efforts
- Maintain donor records and correspondence
Finance and Human Resources:
- Work with the accounts manager to maintain financial records through bi-weekly reporting of staff expenses, accounts payable and receivable.
- Work with the HR specialist to coordinate all services
- Handle all incoming and outgoing mail
- Maintenance of personnel and accounting files
- Maintenance of organization policy and procedure manuals
Systems Design and Development:
- Ability to assess and design systems for tracking financial, HR, administrative, technology and program planning needs
Program Assistance and Project Management:
- Assist with communications, development, operations, and evaluation projects
- Participate in and provide support to various program and administrative teams as needed
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
- Previous administrative experience required
- Demonstrated ability to manage office operations, including the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Attention to detail while managing multiple tasks or projects is essential
- Excellent verbal, written, and editing skills
- Good understanding of budgeting and other financial procedures
- Computer literacy, including knowledge of the full Microsoft Office suite, database design and management experience, an ability to edit and design websites, and a comfort with on-line communications and social networking platforms
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, administration, English, communications or related field required
- Commitment to the missions of GreenHOME and GreenSPACE, including some familiarity and strong interest in sustainability and green building issues
- Creativity and problem-solving capabilities with a high level of comfort in taking the initiative
- Flexible team player with ability to work and learn collaboratively as part of an integrated team
- A clear ability to understand, assess and design appropriate operations systems and structures
- A “can-do” attitude with an entrepreneurial spirit and comfort with working in a small team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A sense of humor, comfort with surprises, and energy for new challenges
- Cover letter
- Two brief writing samples – a project or grant proposal, article, letter to the editor and/or other letter
- Contact information for three (3) references
Please e-mail your attached cover letter, resume, references and writing samples in MS Word or PDF format to Charmaine Ng at charmaine(at)greenhome.org
with the subject line “Operations Coordinator” no later than December 18, 2009.
The salary for this position will be competitive and commensurate with experience, including full health and vacation benefits
Process and Starting Date
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the right candidate is identified. The position will begin as soon as possible after the New Year.