CARE is currently seeking a Senior Policy analyst to focus on food security and climate change. Please see further details below and online job announcement for application process.
CARE is seeking a seasoned Senior Policy Analyst located in the Washington, DC office. The purpose of this position is to manage the policy analysis portfolio related to one or more of CARE's advocacy priorities and to support the development of the organization's long term policy analysis and advocacy agenda. The position will work under the direct supervision of the Associate Vice President for Government Relations & Policy Analysis (AVP), and will be primarily responsible for managing the policy analysis portfolio for Food Security and Climate Change, and will engage in policy analysis for microfinance/women's economic empowerment as needed. This position will work in close collaboration with the Director of Food Security to support research collaborations and policy analysis. The Senior Policy Analyst will undertake in-depth policy analysis and draw upon research activity at the Country Office level and with external thought leaders. The Senior Policy Analyst will participate in strategy development and advocacy initiatives in relation to USG policy, and also at the CO and CARE International levels as required. S/he will work closely with colleagues within PAU, GAER, Program (Director of Food Security), CARE International, RMUs and COs where appropriate. More generally, the Senior Policy Analyst will assist the AVP in managing the Policy Analysis team's activities, and will represent the VP for Policy & Advocacy, the AVP, and the Director of Food Security as needed within the CARE system and to external groups.
* With support and guidance from the AVP, develop and manage the policy analysis and research portfolio for CARE's advocacy related to the Food Security/Climate Change Issue Team.
* Assist the AVP in overall representation of the Policy Analysis staff to colleagues in HQ serving as the day to day face of the PA Team and liaison with range of Atlanta and DC stakeholders engaged in advocacy around food security and climate change.
* Work with Government Relations colleagues on the FS/CC and other issues and help develop and implement the organization's short and long-term advocacy strategies including products such as policy briefs and white papers.
* Assist colleagues within CARE USA HQ, RMUs, COs, and CI to strengthen their knowledge and skills/capacities to incorporate policy research, analysis, and advocacy into their work.
* Provide ongoing support and guidance to other staff in the group, and potentially supervise other policy staff, Country Office staff, and graduate student interns.
* Graduate degree in a relevant field, e.g., international relations/development studies, public policy, political science or law.
* Five years experience in a relevant international and/or development work in the US or abroad.
* Substantial experience in the design and implementation of policy advocacy interventions, and especially in policy research and analysis.
* Solid understanding of international development issues and USG development assistance programs.
* Proven ability to get things done in a complex, international organization.
* Advanced skills in policy analysis and formulation of policy prescriptions and advocacy strategies.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills, particularly to convey information effectively and to write persuasively in a variety of styles for a variety of audiences.
* Demonstrated ability to collaborate well with others and develop and maintain positive working relationships.
* Seven years of relevant experience.
* Solid knowledge of the CARE organization, including the workings of country offices (through concrete program experience with CARE or a similar operational NGO, ideally to some extent in the field).
* Strategic planning and M&E skills.
* Strong training/facilitation skills.
Location: Washington, DC
Expected Travel Percentage: 15%
Relocation: not available