BLUEGREEN ALLIANCE (BGA)
Launched in 2006 by the United Steelworkers and the Sierra Club, this unique labor-environmental collaboration has grown to include the Communications Workers of America (CWA), Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), Service Employees International Union (SEIU), National Wildlife Federation (NWF), Laborers' International Union of North America (LIUNA), Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), Utility Workers Union of America (UWUA), American Federation of Teachers (AFT), Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU), Sheet Metal Workers' International Association, United Auto Workers and the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW). BGA unites more than 14 million members and supporters in pursuit of good jobs, a clean environment and a green economy. For more information about BGA and our positions, visit www.bluegreenalliance.org.
BGA is seeking a dynamic and skilled individual to join the Washington, D.C. team as Research Assistant. The Research Assistant works in close coordination with BGA’s Executive Director, Deputy Director, Legislative Director, Program Assistant, and other staff in the D.C. office. The main function of the position is to aid in the research, development and implementation of various initiatives, as well as general coordination of internal partners and external allies around active campaigns.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
· Coordinating and conducting research and writing of major reports;
· Developing public education materials for pertinent initiatives;
· Coordinating outreach to and engagement of environmental and labor community members working in specific issue areas;
· Maintaining and updating appropriate information and organizational lists as required. This may include media, legislative and administrative databases;
· Assisting in preparations for and representing BGA in coalitional meetings and events; and
· Providing administrative support for DC-based BGA staff.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Exceptional writing, editing, research and organizational capabilities;
· Strong verbal communication and presentation skills;
· Detail-oriented and able to handle multiple tasks and priorities on short deadlines;
· Ability to interact cooperatively and effectively with public, staff and volunteers;
· College degree in relevant field or equivalent legislative/office experience; and
· A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, 3-5 page writing sample and contact information for 3 references by April 25, 2011 to AldaC@bluegreenalliance.org. Please include “Research Assistant Application” in the subject line of your e-mail and include your name and contact information on all documents.
No phone calls please.
The BlueGreen Alliance is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.