Position: Project Coordinator – Superior National Forest Trail Maintenance
Location: Northeast Minnesota – Superior NF (Location TBD)
Status: Full-time, Temporary
Term: ASAP through September 15, 2009
Compensation: $18.00 per hour (salaried)
The Minnesota Conservation Corps (MCC) provides hands-on environmental stewardship and service-learning opportunities to youth and young adults while accomplishing natural resource management projects.
The Project Coordinator position is integral to the Young Adult program’s goal of accomplishing backcountry trail and portage maintenance for the USFS as well as providing training, education, coordination and leadership to ensure a positive and safe experience for all MCC participants. The Project Coordinator will report directly to the NE District Manager, and will assist in the management of 3-4 Field Assistants and 35 Corpsmembers that will be operating on 7 crews throughout all five districts of the Superior National Forest. Crews are composed of 1 Crew Leader and 4 Crew Members, aged 18-25, and work seasonally from June through September. Corpsmembers are enrolled as AmeriCorps participants.
• Assist with the personnel functions of interviewing, hiring, evaluating, and discipline of 35 corpsmembers.
• Manage administrative requirements and supervise 3-4 Field Assistants to coordinate communication, logistical support, and crew management of the 35 corpsmembers.
• Assist with field coordination for young adult crews, ensuring that projects are accomplished in an efficient, safe, and consistent manner.
• Coordinate project logistics in cooperation with the US Forest Service and facilitate crew preparedness to complete each project by communicating project objectives to Field Assistants and corpsmembers.
• Purchase and help maintain equipment, conduct repairs, and maintain an asset inventory.
• Conduct and coordinate educational, technical, and safety training for corpsmembers.
• Oversee corpsmember development and ensure that corpsmembers achieve personal and program success through the principles of teamwork and service-learning.
• Assist on matters of planning, policy, and public relations associated with the start-up and management of this seasonal program expansion.
• Perform significant travelling, overnight and weekend backcountry spike camp duties as assigned.
• Supervisory experience (with young adult age group) and experience with AmeriCorps programming.
• Working knowledge of project management specifically relating to operating backcountry trail maintenance crews.
• Experience with hand and power tools, chainsaw operations, construction and backcountry camping.
• Training coordination and facilitation experience.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with proficiency in MS Office programs.
• Ability to work well with minimal supervision, multi-task, and be flexible in responsibilities.
• Valid driver’s license / good driving record.
• A current First Aid/CPR certificate or better.
• Four-year degree in a related field is preferred.
Application Deadline: Sunday, March 22nd
Submit a cover letter and resume to: HR@conservationcorps.org
(electronic submission strongly preferred)
Or mail to: Minnesota Conservation Corps
Attn: Human Resources
2715 Upper Afton Road #100
Maplewood, MN 55119