www.PickUpAmerica.org seeks a Website/IT Manager for the 2011 season of a cross-country adventure to pick up trash. Ideally, the candidate will travel with the team for the year. However, exceptions may be made.
Candidate must be clever and technically savvy to oversee design, development, maintenance and improvement of a new www.PickUpAmerica.org.
We’re looking to design and develop a new website this winter to be launched in February. Currently, we’re working with EnterMedia, a web application company, to develop two unique applications for our journey:
• An interactive Google Map for web followers to keep track of our progress and projects along the road.
• An organizational tool that allows us to track a project’s multiple organizers and tasks. The tool will be arranged in the following order:
1. Region – Click a region to view or begin local projects.
2. Event – Users sign up to be a volunteer or organizer, which grants them permission to post comments.
3. Topic – If attending an event, user can sign up to help under specific topics (ex. Potluck Dishes, PA Equipment, Finding Location, Contacting Media, etc.)
4. Comments – Users discuss logistics under each topic, and when a conclusion is made, the topic is finalized.
Each of these applications will be integrated into a content and asset management system to be used internally and externally for organized community actions. When springtime comes around, we’ll hit the road and utilize the system to post upcoming events and related blog posts.
Candidate must be able to manage the website and assist teammates in publishing web content. If able to travel with the group, the candidate should be willing to:
- Walk & pick up trash for four days, work two days, and have one day off each week.
- Participate in one weekly meeting with the entire crew.
- Write one blog post every other week.
- Live closely and be adaptable with the rest of the team.
Must be passionate for a youth-led, grassroots, on-the-road social and environmental movement. Must have ability to self-teach, self-motivate, and self-start. With that comes freedom to make this YOUR project.
Position is unpaid, but modest living and work expenses are covered. We’re all volunteers. Benefits include slow travel across the American landscape, meeting the most awesome people in the world, nonprofit start-up experience, working with young sustainabilists, and being awesome.
Please send a resume, references, and letter of intent to PickUpAmerica at gmail dot com ☺ Positions will ideally be filled by January 2011.
* Pick Up America is on a mission to walk across the country, pick up trash, and inspire a transition toward zero waste. The project hit the road March 20, 2010, and has since picked up 75,000 pounds of trash over 750 miles of road. The group emphasizes education in grade schools to reach the generation that will be most effected by our current disposable culture.