Many dream of working in the outdoor industry, but few find opportunities for real-world training like this one. Assistant guiding at ZAC is demanding, rewarding, and extremely educative. ZAC Assistant Guides spend their season under the tutelage of our corps of Lead Guides, learning to manage risk, maintain equipment, teach technical skills, and facilitate amazing field experiences with our clients. At season's end, many Assistant Guides feel ready to lead trips on their own and stay on staff to lead trips the following season.
1) Age Requirements: Minimum of 21 years of age by June 1, 2011
3) Desired Certifications: Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder
4) Required Qualifications: Moderate experience with technical rock climbing and/or canyoneering. Confident and precise in speech, and uninhibited in group settings. Applicants should be physically fit, with strong hiking ability and experience.
5) Desired Experience: Familiar with the canyons and climbing of southwestern Utah and the Zion National Park area, and/or other canyon/climbing areas around the country/world.
6) Season: Mid-May through Labor Day weekend
7) Schedule: In the field 4-5 days/week on half-day and/or full-day events
8) Compensation: Commensurate with experience and performance, based on an Apprenticeship Program. Apprentice Guides start at $47 per half-day and $78 per full-day, while experienced Assistant Guides earn $82 per half-day and $110 per full-day.
• Complete training, as needed, in the ZAC apprenticeship program (approx. 1 month)
• Assist Lead Instructors canyoneering, rock climbing, mtn. biking, and hiking trips and courses
• Create a safe, fun, and educational atmosphere
• Build, evaluate, and manage a wide variety of anchor and rope systems
• Help teach students basic to advanced technical skills and techniques
• Empower students to become self-guided canyoneers
• Wash, repair, and maintain canyon and climbing equipment
• Build an impressive knowledge base of the roads, hikes, canyons, and hidden secrets of Zion National Park and the surrounding area.
• A truly astounding clientele, from all ages, places, and walks of life
• Train and work with expert field instructors
• Live within the towering walls of Zion National Park
• Pro-purchase opportunities from most outdoor equipment manufacturers
• Opportunities to create and increase your own income
• Work with an incredible team dedicated to a high quality of life and excellence in all we do
• Free tuition for all ZAC trips and courses
Application Deadline: January 23, 2011 for positions starting May 16, 2011