The Eastern Region Online Organizer is a Washington, D.C. based position that supports the strategic planning and implementation of online tools and tactics for the Club's 10-15 field organizers in the Eastern Region (from Florida to Maine).
It's a great opportunity to get involved in a lot of different types of local environmental campaigns and play a major role in our local victories.
Previous online organizing experience (1-2 years) is required, ideal candidates will also have experience in Convio or other CRMs as well and an organizing background.
Job Date: 01/10
Job No. R1064D
Job Title: Region Online Organizer (Eastern)
Department: Online Organizing Department
Reports to: Online Organizing Director
Location: Washington D.C.
Context: Supports local field staff in the Eastern Region by infusing online organizing campaign tactics (email, action alerts etc.) into on-the-ground campaigns. Produces all online emails and action alerts for field staff in the region.
Scope: The Regional Online Organizer is responsible for supporting and training field staff in the local use of online tools to achieve greater scale and depth of organizing activities. This includes helping field staff develop online organizing strategies, producing online materials for local campaigns and training field staff in the region on best practices for online organizing.
1. Advises Organizing Department on and assists with implementation of the online organizing strategy, including online to offline strategy, for field organizers in Organizing Department Region.
2. Works with field organizers on creation of materials, including online action alerts, petitions, and events turnout emails. Provides results to the organizer and online organizing department team. Proofs, tests and targets materials before they're sent.
3. Represents the Online Organizing Department and our online toolset, Convio, within the region to field staff- encourage the use, adoption of online organizing, and dissemination of best practices.
4. Identifies and disseminates best practices for field and relevant chapter staff. Educates and trains relevant staff when a successful organizing strategy or tactic is determined.
5. Tracks and encourages the data entry of offline email addresses and field data into our online system.
6. Participates in and helps create frequent online organizing trainings for field and chapters.
7. Keeps tabs on online organizing at the state and local level to help keep online organizing department abreast of what's working and what's not.
8. Participates in Online Organizing Department projects such as email list growth strategies, new online tool evaluation and online testing to further advance the online capabilities of the Sierra Club.
9. Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
The standard Sierra Club work week is 37.5 hours. However, this job requires occasional evening and weekend work included within the 37.5 hours. Thus the work schedule will not always follow a standard Sierra Club work week, but must be arranged with supervisor as appropriate.
This job requires occasional overtime to meet special deadline projects, other staff absences, or emergencies. Under these circumstances, overtime will rarely exceed 5 hours weekly, or 15 hours on a monthly basis.
Knowledge and Skills: o 1-2 years experience working in an online organizing capacity.
o Thorough understanding and demonstrated skill at grassroots organizing.
o Thorough understanding of online organizing technology and the Organizing Department's organizing models and strategies.
o Proficient with new technology, including the ability to use internal systems such as a constituent relationship management system (Convio) as well as the ability to identify new, external technologies that are relevant and useful to our goals (social networks, websites, widgets etc.)
o Great team player. Works effectively with stakeholders across multiple departments to get the job done.
To view our other job opportunities, please visit www.sierraclub.org/careers
Sierra Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.