Program and Outreach Associate
Clean Vehicles Program
Union of Concerned Scientists
Washington, DC Office
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is the leading science-based nonprofit working for a healthy environment and a safer world. UCS combines independent scientific research and citizen action to develop innovative, practical solutions and to secure responsible changes in government policy, corporate practices, and consumer choices. What began as a collaboration between students and faculty members at MIT in 1969 is now an alliance of more than 300,000 citizens and scientists that includes people from all walks of life: parents and businesspeople, biologists and physicists, teachers and students. UCS strives for a future that is free from the threats of global warming and nuclear war and a planet that supports a rich diversity of life. Our specific focus areas include global warming, renewable energy, advanced vehicle technology, nuclear power safety, nuclear weapons and related security issues, preserving the integrity of science, and sustainable agriculture.
The Union of Concerned Scientists seeks an efficient, organized and energetic individual to provide a broad range of outreach, advocacy and administrative support for the Clean Vehicles program in Washington, DC.
Transportation remains one of the most heavily oil-dependent and polluting sectors of the American and global economy. Smog-forming, soot, and global warming emissions from our nation’s autos, trucks, tractors and buses are a threat to human health and the environment and that can and must, be addressed through a range of government, industry and consumer actions. The UCS Clean Vehicles program is a recognized source for consumers, regulators, and policy makers alike to provide the fact-based, solution-oriented, innovative ideas that will help transform the transportation industry into a responsible, profitable partner in protecting our environmental, health, and energy security.
The Clean Vehicles Program and Outreach Associate will work as part of a team of experienced organizers, analysts, and lobbyists on a number of public outreach, issue research, and lobbying efforts, including:
· Online Research & Outreach: The Clean Vehicles program maintains a number of distinct, cutting-edge web resources such as the award-winning HybridCenter.org and the Clean Vehicles portion of the UCS organizational website. Updating, maintaining, and creating new materials to broaden the value and appeal of our online resources will be a key responsibility.
· Administrative Support: Including compiling information, responding to member inquiries, making travel arrangements, scheduling, copying, filing, drafting the Clean Vehicles portion of the intra-office newsletter, and helping staff members meet financial and time-tracking deadlines.
· Maintaining contact and overseeing information dissemination to our national alliances: Including drafting and loading action alerts and regular newsletters for our activist base of over 300,000 nationwide, our network of over 20,000 scientific experts, as well as our Driving Change Network of advanced vehicle drivers and enthusiasts across the nation.
· Tracking key industry and policy maker activity to help forward our transportation agenda. Including online research of automakers, the fuels industry and other relevant policy actors. This research will be conducted to support analytical staff in the research, writing and dissemination of reports, fact-sheets, and analyses.
· Assisting with policy-maker engagement. Assisting the Clean Vehicles Washington Representative with coalition advocacy and lobbying work as needed, including attending coalition meetings, Congressional hearings, disseminating relevant information to Congressional and administration staff, as well as assisting in the coordination and participation in select meetings with decision-makers and staff.
· Staff Management. The Program and Outreach Associate will be the direct manager of the Clean Vehicles Intern located in the Washington, DC office, helping to maximize the productivity of this staff member for the Clean Vehicles program.
Skills, Knowledge, & Experience
Strong web research skills, organizational abilities and good written and oral communication skills are needed. Familiarity with website content management systems and online action tools a plus, but not required. Also needed are excellent personal relation skills, including an ability to work both independently and in teams, and to interact professionally with individuals with a wide range of skills and responsibilities. This is a dynamic position, so a demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and multiple tasks is needed. A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required. Knowledge of transportation issues a plus. A minimum of two years of relevant experience is strongly preferred, preferably in a non-profit setting.
Please submit a cover letter, salary requirements, short (1-2 page) writing sample and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Program and Outreach Associate” in the subject line. Email materials by Word Documents only. No phone calls please. Deadline: November 30th or until filled.