The Amazon Conservation Association (ACA) and its sister organization in Peru, the Asociación para la Conservación de la Cuenca Amazónica (ACCA), have been growing steadily and are now seeking to make a qualitative leap in the efficiency of its operations. The board of directors are looking for a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience in leading an executive management team, in guiding an organization’s scaling-up process, and developing a performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals. The ED must be a leader who is able to help others at ACA and ACCA deliver measurable, cost-effective results that make our vision a reality. The successful ED will have the skills, understanding, and confidence to tap into the potential that each member of the team brings to this mission.
Reporting to the board of directors of ACA/ACCA, the ED will lead all internal operations and will have the following responsibilities:
- Legal representative of ACA and ACCA
- Represent Association in an official capacity
- Overall responsibility and authority for the programs, finances, administration, fundraising, and management of organization
- Delegate authority for execution of day-to-day management functions to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and the Chief Operating Officer (COO)
- Provide input to the board of directors on the strategic direction of the organization
- Quarterly, submit a financial and programmatic status update to the Board of Directors; base this report on the quarterly information provided by the CFO, COO, and site managers
- Develop partnerships and relationships with potential funders
- Monitor at a high-level the overall finance, program, and staffing performance (i.e., review of budget-to-actual reports, review of summary reports on program achievements, and solicit feedback from management)
- Annually, discuss employee evaluations with upper management and approve evaluation ratings and if applicable, raises and promotions
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must share the core values of ACA/ACCA and be driven by the shared mission. Beyond that, we are seeking a candidate with proven experience in scaling up a multi-site organization and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a driven, bright, and diverse team. The successful candidate will have had at least 5 years of high-level management experience with a non-profit organization, and at least 10 years of work experience. Additional requirements are:
- Language skills: candidate must be able to communicate fluently in both English and Spanish.
- Travel: candidate must be willing to travel frequently within Peru, especially to Cusco and Puerto Maldonado, and periodically to the United States and La Paz, Bolivia, up to 60% of the time.
- Results: proven track record of exceeding goals; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness.
- Adaptive management: the ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan.
- Capacity-building: the ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure that the organization runs smoothly.
- Leadership and organization: an exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect with staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, lead from the top down, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed.
- Action-oriented: enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; calmly evaluate situations and diffuse difficult situations through perspective and creative management; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary.
- General management: a thorough understanding of finance, systems, and human resources; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, finance, information systems, and human resources.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. ACA is prepared to offer an attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary as well as health, 401(k), and vacation benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include salary expectations in cover letter. The position will remain open until filled.
To view the Peru-based CFO & COO openings please visit: http://www.amazonconservation.org/getinvolved/jobs.html