Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), a national force of conservation volunteers is seeking experienced, quality oriented outdoor leaders to work for SCA NH Corps.
SCA NH corps is to serve the communities and land of New Hampshire by accomplishing signiﬁcant conservation service projects, enhancing and protecting natural areas and providing environmental education to promote the understanding and stewardship of these natural areas. In the tradition of the Civilian Conservation Corps, members perform direct hands on service while building their leadership skills and developing their ethic of service and citizenship. The SCA NH corps has been providing education and conservation service throughout New Hampshire since 1994.
SCA NH corps is seeking experienced, quality oriented outdoor leaders to supervise teams of corps members responsible for completing trail maintenance and construction projects. Working in partnership with land management agencies and non-proﬁt organizations throughout New Hampshire, each SCA team will complete an array of conservation/trail projects. The Crew Supervisors will work alongside corps members providing on the ground support on a daily basis. These positions are 90% ﬁeld based and require signiﬁcant travel around the State of New Hampshire. The SCA NH corps conservation season crew consists of 18 corps members and 5 full time, staff in addition to the 2 seasonal Crew Supervisors
Program Dates: April 21st, 2014 – November 1st, 2014.
- Lead and manage work outcomes and crew dynamics
- Facilitate team operations: food planning/purchasing, tools & equipment, vehicles
- Actively manage project/member risk to maintain a safe work environment
- Maintain position of authority, including disciplinary action when necessary
- Evaluate corps interns and service projects by visiting ﬁeld sites and analyzing project reports and participant evaluations annual performance evaluations for all Corps interns
- Supervise and assist the work skills training of corps members
- Manage the quality & technique of trail work performed
- Promote leadership development within team and evaluate success & potential
- Ensure compliance with all SCA Risk Management policies & procedures
- Partnership Representative
- Manage relationship with agency partner
- Work collaboratively with agency on program logistics
- Ensure successful and timely completion of work project
- Other duties as assigned by the Conservation Manager or Program Director.
- Ensure that SCA NH corps crews are operating according to SCA Field Operations Standards and that all safety and policy regulations are upheld in the ﬁeld.
- Timely reporting of accidents, incidents and policy infractions to the Program Director and Conservation Manager.
- Abide by SCA policies outlined in Staff Handbook.
- Ensure an environment of teamwork and professionalism on SCA NH corps crews.
- Minimum 21 years of age
- Experience in outdoor programs or related ﬁeld
- At least 3 seasons of trail crew experience and at least 2 seasons of outdoor leadership experience required
- Bachelors degree in related ﬁeld
- Chainsaw certiﬁcation required
- Knowledge of grip-hoist and rigging systems
- Experience in basic carpentry
- Proven supervision and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of national service programs helpful
- Experience living and working in a residential setting
- Wilderness First Responder and CPR Certiﬁcation
- Organization and timeliness
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA’s standards
- Personal Vehicle required (mileage reimbursed)
- Criminal background check that meets SCA’s standards
Compensation: Salary $545 per week, paid biweekly. Meals and housing provided. Tents and group gear provided for backcountry work projects
* Health and Dental * Basic Life Insurance * Short Term Disability * Long Term Disability * Flexible Spending Account * 403(b) Savings Plan * Generous Paid Time Off * Community Service Leave * Casual Dress
To Apply: Login or Sign-up. Select Crew/Project Leader when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is submitted, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “NH Crew Supervisor” in the subject line.
SCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to workforce diversity.