Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school students for the Hurricane Sandy Recovery program in New York City and surrounding parks and boroughs. Work will take place in Jamaica Bay, Staten Island, & Sandy Hook. Crews will help assist in hurricane recovery efforts.
- Option of pre & post program Leader Team: 6/3/2013– 6/28/2013, fall dates TBD
- Mandatory Training Dates: 6/6/2013 – 6/14/2013 (Flexible for interested Leader Team Leaders & Members)
- NYC Orientation: 7/1/2013 - 7/3/2013
- Community Program Dates: 7/8/2013 – 8/16/2013
- Train crew members in safe and proper tool use
- Facilitate crew operations: tools & equipment, work schedule, etc.
- Supervise crew members during the work day
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Manage relationship with agency partner
- Manage all medical and first aid aspects
- Communicate with full time SCA field staff as required
- Organize & lead recreation trip after completion of work project
- Complete required program reporting and documentation
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: June 6th - June 14th, 2013 (Other dates available for qualified Leaders)
- Current First Aid certification & CPR required by the start of the training
- Experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18), teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in program city
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application. If interested in leading a Leader Team as well, please add “Leader Team” to the subject line.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.