Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualiﬁed applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school students ages 15-19 for the Washington, D.C. Summer Conservation Crew Program.
Program Dates: June 30th-August 8th
- Facilitate worksite and project, tool and equipment logistics, tool maintenance, and work schedule.
- Train and supervise crew members in safe and proper use of tools and all aspects of the service project (may include trail construction, maintenance, wildlife habitat work, site restoration, etc.)
- Supervise crew members during the work day and provide emotionally and physically safe environment.
- Plan for and carry out Environmental Education lessons.
- Maintain relationship with agency partner including managing all logistical and operational work and how it relates to the partner, project, and coordinate interactions/trainings with the crew.
- Manage a budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project.
- Manage administrative aspects of the crew including but not limited to required pre- and post-program paperwork, daily medical and work logs, and equipment inventories.
- Organize and lead recreation trip after completion of work project (typically backpacking, hiking, canoeing, or sightseeing).
- Communicate with full time SCA ﬁeld staff as required and as needed
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader Site Visits: June 9th-June 13th (Exact day dependent upon agency partner availability)
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: June 18th-June 27th
- Current First Aid certiﬁcation & CPR required by the start of the training
- Experience working with youth or young adults (ages 15-19), teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in program city
Up to $4000 total salary depending on experience & program length
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a proﬁle, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org