Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas |Michigan | Minnesota | Missouri | Nebraska | North Dakota |Ohio | South Dakota | West Virginia | Wisconsin
SCA members fortify this region’s rich natural heritage by protecting watersheds and riparian zones, conserving migratory bird habitats, mitigating the impact of abandoned mines and much more. The Midwest is home to our Green Cities Sustainability Corps, which helps area municipalities implement climate action plans by reducing greenhouse gas emissions and limiting resource consumption.
This is also where you’ll ﬁnd hundreds of previously under-served urban youth gaining work experience and strengthening city parks in the largest concentration of SCA community conservation programs in the country. In fact, the US Conference of Mayors named our Milwaukee corps one of the nation’s top green jobs programs for teens.
- 558 (2013)
- Community conservation crews
- Green Cities Sustainability Corps
- Trail Town Outreach Corps
- The Greening of Detroit
- Milwaukee Workforce Investment Board, Milwaukee County Parks Dept. and Urban Ecology Center
- Indiana Dunes National Lake Shore
- Isle Royale National Park
- Johnson Controls, Inc. - community programs in Milwaukee, Detroit (and Baltimore)
- Exelon - Chicago community program
News, Stories & Projects
When asked what first inspired her interest in nature, award-winning wildlife photographer, Barbara Baird, said it was the ﬂash of blue from an eastern bluebird. As a young girl, Barbara’s parents often took her family to visit parks just outside of Chicago, and it was on one of these trips that she encountered an eastern bluebird for the first time - and it was love at first sight.Read more